CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Reduce, Reuse, Redesign

If you’re anything like me, I’m always on the hunt for a deal, especially inexpensive design ideas because let’s face it, I’m no Kardashian in the money department. Often the things suggested in magazines too are so complicated I lose steam before I even begin! We thought it would be great to highlight a few simple ones each week in this feature, drawing on everyday things that can be repurposed in your home. Killing two birds with one stone, that’s my mantra. (Side note: Be careful how you use the phrase, 5th graders are likely to get upset). This week’s ideas I discovered while Pinteralking (aka stalking on Pinterest) and I couldn’t wait to share.
For $1.99 from Ikea you can get those plastic bag holders and they double perfectly as a quick, easy way to store wrapping paper. You don’t have to do anything to them! Check it out:
I’m not sure if they’d stand on their own. A lot of people say they need to be attached to the wall. I say that instead of screwing them into the wall, you could use the picture holder stuff from 3M (I think?) that pulls right off the wall when you’re done. That way, you could keep them in a closet out of the way if you wanted and still be able to pull the bin out. Or you can keep them along the wall of your craft room if you have that kind of space, which I think looks super cool.
In my office, I’ve always felt torn between wanting a bulletin board or shelf above my desk. This next idea is both (which I guess makes it a belf?) and requires NO effort. Just take a small desk drawer that you don’t need or want anymore and by hanging it up flat against the wall you get both: bulletin board AND shelf. Huzzah!
How magical is that? Wondering where to find a shelf? Don’t just have an extra pile lying around? Well, I have a solution! If you live in a city area, check out the discarded furniture on or around September 1st, some college student is ALWAYS discarding their things as they move out. You can put the drawer up as is or could easily spray paint it to match whatever you wanted. A place like Walmart has cheap contact paper with fun designs you could use to cover the bulletin board area like they’ve done.
This last idea would be a bit more effort but is totally worth it. You can use an old dresser and turn it into a kitchen island. Salvation Army, Goodwill and those types of stores have great, study furniture for such good prices. (Getting it home is another story. May I suggest NOT using a Yaris). You might want to paint it like they’ve done, or if you would a cool old wood one it might just need a bit of refinish to bring out its sparkle. Add a paper towel holder, the kind you’d buy for over the sink, and a few screw in hooks and you’re good to go. This one is on wheels even!

-Kendra

0 comments: